We are looking for highly qualified candidates to apply for the ISTScholar PhD program. Apply now for PhD entry in September 2019. The deadline for applications is Jan 8, 2019 (23:59 CET).
Fully-funded PhD positions
We offer fully-funded PhD positions in the natural and mathematical sciences in a world-class research environment on the outskirts of Vienna. For more information about our PhD program, please visit the PhD Program Overview page.
Bachelor’s and Master’s students eligible to apply
Students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in biology, neuroscience, mathematics, computer science, physics, and related areas are encouraged to apply. We offer internationally competitive salaries co-funded by an EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant, full health benefits, and subsidized on-campus housing in the first year.
IST Austria processes applications to its PhD program once a year. Apply now for entry in September 2019.
The deadline for PhD applications is January 8, 2019 (23:59 CET), for a start in September 2019. Reference letters should be submitted by January 15, 2019, 23:59 CET.
Student Open Day, November 30th 2018
IST Austria welcomes you to the Student Open Day on Friday, November 30th 2018! You will get the chance to meet the research groups through lab tours and “Meet the Research Group” sessions, organized by our professors, PhD students, and postdocs. You can also discover the campus through a campus tour and learn about the history and future of IST Austria. In addition, there will be an information session where the Dean (Prof. Nick Barton) and the PhD Program Chair (Prof. Gasper Tkacik) present the PhD program and internship opportunities at IST Austria.
More information and registration can be found here.
How do I apply?
IST Austria processes applications to the PhD program once per year. The application portal is available from this link. You will need to create an online account with your official name, email address, and password. You will then receive an email via the system, and upon confirming your email account, you can log in and start filling out your application. Please keep your account details secure so you can log in and track your application through the various stages.
We do not accept applications and documents received outside of this system.
What application materials are required?
We ask you to upload the following documents to the application portal:
- Statement of purpose
- University transcripts and diplomas of all degree programs and all years you have attended and/or are currently enrolled in (in English and in original language)
- Contact information of 3 referees
All documents have to be submitted in English and copies of university transcripts also in their original language.
What are the selection criteria?
The selection committee uses a collection of indicators to evaluate the applicant’s preparedness, motivation, and potential. The following will be considered:
- undergraduate performance: overall, with a special focus on relevant field-specific courses
- reference letters provided by professors and senior scientists: one letter from industry is acceptable, but letters from an academic background are given priority; referees are asked to address analytical capabilities, technical proficiency, ability to work independently and motivation/commitment;
- statement of purpose: the applicant’s past research experience and motivation for applying to this particular PhD program: is it a good academic fit? does the program contribute to the candidate’s future career plans?, etc.;
- additional relevant skills (field-specific): demonstrated in, e.g., internships and/or participation in research projects, participation in science Olympiads, programming languages, lab techniques, etc.
- quality of the undergraduate background, i.e. quality of the institution attended
- transferable skills: e.g. communication skills, experience with working in teams, previous mobility and international experiences, leadership experience as demonstrated in student organizations, etc.;
- diversity: e.g. a woman in computer science/math/physics; an applicant who switched fields, etc.;
Download brochures & posters
You can also obtain an overview of the ISTScholar PhD program from the “The PhD Experience” brochure. The following posters list research groups at IST Austria by research cluster for easy reference:
- Generic poster for the ISTScholar PhD program
- Poster on the Biology cluster in the ISTScholar PhD program
- Poster on the Computer Science cluster in the ISTScholar PhD program
- Poster on the Data Science & Scientific Computing cluster in the ISTScholar PhD program
- Poster on the Mathematics cluster in the ISTScholar PhD program
- Poster on the Neuroscience cluster in the ISTScholar PhD program
- Poster on the Physics cluster in the ISTScholar PhD program
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For more information about the application process and PhD admissions, please read the FAQ page.
If you have any questions about the PhD program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.